Thursday, September 27, 2012

About Andrea


My name is Andrea Schario, and I am a pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist in St. Louis, Missouri.  I am an independent practitioner, a member of two Missouri First Steps Early Intervention teams, and a staff member at St. Louis Children’s Hospital.  I specialize in Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), and have a passion for finding out what combination of modalities (e.g., speech, sign, picture symbols, voice-output devices… the possibilities are nearly endless) will allow each of my clients to effectively communicate with the most important people in their lives.  I believe wholeheartedly in a team-based approach to intervention, meaning that parents, siblings, therapists, teachers, babysitters, cousins, grandparents - you get the idea! - are all involved in helping a child with special needs improve his or her communication skills.   Keeping every member of a team engaged and involved is no easy task, especially when it comes to teaching a young child to use technology to communicate!  


I very much look forward to using this blog as an opportunity to discuss new ideas and technologies, celebrate triumphs and rethink failures, and continue to expand upon my own knowledge base and that of our readers.   I am incredibly excited to be involved, and I encourage you to ask questions or leave comments at any time.  Thank you for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment